Wednesday, November 22, 2017

A Daniels Thanksgiving

When I was living in Minnesota,I'd often think to myself, "No matter how many friends you have,the holidays are a reminder that you're not from Minnesota." Minnesotans,more than any other place I've lived tend to remain in Minnesota,and if they do leave,they tend to return sooner or later. Minnesotans have family to celebrate the holidays with.

I had a few Thanksgiving invitations over the years and sometimes I would attend. More than once however,I'd get the feeling that the invitation was coming from a place of feeling sorry for me that I had no family to go to,and I'd almost always would feel out of place no matter how sincere the invitation was. Luckily there would be the Thanksgiving Dinner at Palmer's Bar where no one was out of place.


Colorado on the other hand is a land of transplants. I can count only a handful of folks that I know that were born and raised here, with my own daughter being one of them. For many living in Colorado,traveling home whether due to finances,job responsibilities,or both is out of the question,thus Thanksgiving becomes a solo affair. In overhearing or participating in various conversations,I've heard everything from people planning to work on Thanksgiving to those looking forward to a mountain hike. Somehow,being alone for Thanksgiving in Colorado doesn't seem as out of place as being alone in Minnesota would sometimes feel.

Thanksgiving 2017 for the Daniels clan was originally to be held in Phoenix Arizona. 7 years ago at Thanksgiving in Phoenix marked the first time in 12 years that the Daniels Brothers were together. My daughter and my niece were also present. This year grandchildren were to be present..then my brother Austin got a new job that requires him to move from Phoenix to Northern California. My Uncle Bob and Aunt Rose live in Denver and historically the Denver family would gather at their house for food and football for the holiday. This year however with Uncle Bob and Aunt Rose in their 90's and in failing health,Thanksgiving is being limited to the immediate family.

Looks like my Thanksgiving will be spent at the Nob Hill Inn,a dive bar on Denver's Colfax Avenue where there will be beer,food and football and like Palmer's where no one feels out of place..

To all of you wherever you are,Happy Thanksgiving!




No comments:

Post a Comment